Pros and Cons of headless eCommerce that you probably didn’t know about!
The world of headless eCommerce is a pretty diverse one! Making a decision on selecting a headless eCommerce platform is not just deciding for your online store but your business as a whole.
There are many associated pros and cons, and every small factor can actually affect the future of your business in a big way. With the right platform, you can completely transform the way buyers perceive your business, the way you accept and process orders, and analyze your data.
This article aims to simplify your decision-making process by listing all the major pros and cons of a headless eCommerce platform.
Without any further ado, let’s jump straight into the pros and cons:
PROS of headless eCommerce
- Faster time to market – If you successfully built an omnichannel or a multi-channel retail experience using a traditional eCommerce platform, your scaling can be complex, thanks to the slow time to market. On the other hand, a headless eCommerce solution helps businesses focus on front-end experiences on touchpoints and various devices. The products and content are delivered via API and housed centrally. This further facilitates quicker time to market while entering new regions and adopting new channels.
- For agile marketing – A headless eCommerce platform is capable of supporting new technology whenever required. To be able to support new technology is ideal while designing new user experiences. This will enable your marketing team to promote your brand in the best ways possible on various sites across different portfolios, brands, and divisions. Therefore, the flexibility offered by the headless eCommerce solutions gives a push to the marketing teams to manage your business better.
- Lower cost – Headless eCommerce technologies are advancing each day. With such growth, starting and maintaining an eCommerce store with a limited investment has become quite affordable and pocket-friendly. Merchants now need not spend large sums of money on billboards or television advertisements, or real estate.
- To go Omnichannel – A headless eCommerce platform will aid in driving your content everywhere. Meaning, it will deliver your eCommerce products, blog posts, product videos, etc., to any channel that has or will emerge. Hence, be ready to sell through digital signage, Alexa, progressive web apps, etc. The best part with a headless eCommerce platform is that it is a future-proof package. There is no requirement to restructure your web platform to publish across different desired channels.
- Personalized messaging – Headless eCommerce platforms allow merchants to serve their customers better. They can send product recommendations and personalized content to every registered buyer. This form of targeted communication helps to enhance conversion by posting relevant content for every customer.
- To remain competitive – A headless eCommerce platform allows you to deploy updates without affecting the back-end of your store. In addition, you can easily alter the front end to coincide with the speed of the customer technology. Most commerce labels that use a traditional eCommerce solution usually roll out updates in a few weeks. When the front and back ends are not firmly coupled, you do not need updates for the entire system. Only updating a part does the job. Therefore, you can deliver the desirables of the customers in a short period and pretty much remain competitive.
- Website personalization – Website personalization leads to better shopping experiences. Another pro of headless eCommerce platforms is that you can have personalized landing pages for your customers. This personalization will let your buyers purchase from your store without any extra work from your end. All the hard work can be done much in advance based on your customers. Furthermore, you can personalize the experience of your buyers by sending out emails. You can segment your mailing list based on older purchases, money spent, or location. Another recommendation is to retarget buyers who visited your online store or added a product to their cart.
- More consistent and personal customer experience – Customers need change with time, but they must receive a consistent user experience across all channels and devices. Additionally, audiences wish to purchase from brands that understand their needs. In a headless eCommerce platform, the back-end is familiar with what a specific customer prefers. It uses the data to influence the personalization tools on social channels, CMS, and mobile apps.
- It makes the customer experience more consistent and personal – Customers require change with time. However, every customer of your store on a headless eCommerce platform should enjoy a consistent shopping experience irrespective of what channel or device they use.
- Faster Integrations – Integrations, and updates are time-consuming jobs when speaking from a technical point. They take several weeks to have the job done. When speaking of a headless eCommerce solution, eCommerce integrations are API-driven. Meaning, you get to enjoy quicker integrations. Using a headless approach for your business, software platforms like CRM, CMS, ERPs, etc., are quickly integrated.
CONS of headless eCommerce
- Customizing and Initial setup – The initial setup of Headless eCommerce solutions involve a lot of steps. You would need a lot of customizations and integrations to fulfill all the needs of your particular business. This can include paying a lot of developers from different backgrounds. However, companies like BetterCommerce offer complete integration and initial setup, so you won’t have to get into the technical side of Headless eCommerce.
- Costing for small startups – If you are starting out your eCommerce journey on a small scale and wish to test out things, headless is probably not for you. There are price points and linked factors that do not make sense for people testing out their ideas. However, it becomes logical as soon as you start to scale.
- Training – This can be a con or pro for you, depending on your current stage and other factors. You will have to train your team so they can easily use every part of the software. Marketing campaigns and other changes on the website have to be made by members of your team who are trained for using and making changes on the platform.
This becomes a pro with time as you get more freedom and ease in implementing changes on your website.
I am sure you now have a clear idea of all the pros and cons of a headless eCommerce platform and can visualize what you can do with your business.
BetterCommerce had researched and experienced the cons in eCommerce platforms to build a platform while working on all those cons.
We have made sure that you are not faced with such limitations while working on growing your business! So, check out BetterCommerce to ascertain how it can help take your business to the next level.
Want to see an example of how BetterCommerce’s platform helps businesses grow? Check out this blog – Case Study: Forever Unique – a seamless partnership.